University of South Africa Unisa Department of Inclusive Education
Unisa Department of Inclusive Education – See Details Below:
The Department of Inclusive Education at Unisa is the first and only academic department in higher education in the country. The department is committed to train all professionals and non-professionals who interact and provide support to learners with diverse needs. The aim is to equip them with necessary and relevant skills to educate and support learners with diverse needs.
The diverse needs may include but not limited to the following
- Learning needs
- Emotional needs
- Social Needs
- Neurological needs
- Intellectual needs
- Physical needs
The Department conducts research on a number of areas in Inclusive Education
- Inclusivity, Diversity and Equity in Education.
- Sexual Violence, Disability and Education.
- Disability in Education and Society.
- Special Needs Education.
- Teacher Education for Inclusion.
- Inclusion and Anti-colonial worldviews.
- Care and Support in Education.
To be a leading provider of inclusive education programmes through Open Distance eLearning in the service of humanity.
- To offer quality programmes that equip professionals, paraprofessionals and non-professionals with the positive attitudes, knowledge and skills to respond to learner diversity
- To conduct innovative research that deepens understandings about diverse needs in education and society for the advancement of humanity
- To carry out needs responsive community engagement projects that are embedded in inclusivity
- To collaborate with other stakeholders in advancing inclusive school movement agenda
- To advocate for the diverse needs and interests of all staff and students, including those with disabilities