Zimbabwe Open University (ZOU) Library
VISION / MISSION / OBJECTIVES
To be a world-class support system that provides library and information services in a distance-learning environment
To acquire, organize, disseminate and facilitate equitable access to decentralised, relevant and appropriate information resources and services that support the teaching, learning, research and community needs of ZOU distance learners, tutors and researchers.
- To harness print and electronic-based information resources that support the teaching, learning and research needs of the Zimbabwe Open University distance learners and academic staff.
- To approve the acquisition of all selected materials for inclusion in the collection.
- To carry out bibliographic verification and searching on all materials selected for ordering.
- To place orders for approved suggested orders.
- To select local and international suppliers of good repute who are most beneficial to the University in terms of reasonable purchase prices, availability of materials, high speed of delivery and high quality of service.
- To receive and quickly process supplied materials.
- To procure library materials through exchange agreements.
In order to access the ZOU Libraries, you need to complete the Library Registration Form. You are required to bring a receipt for the payment of your tuition fee and your ZOU I.D. If you have not completed this form, ask for one from the librarian and complete it. On completion of this form, you will be issued with at least four user pockets.
After registering with the library, you become a registered ZOU library user. You are now entitled to access and use the library resources in any of the ZOU Network of Libraries. You must never give your library pockets to another person unless you have sought certified authorization for that person to borrow materials on your behalf. You may be suspended from using the library for giving your pockets to another person.
Important Note: Please bring your identity Documents (IDs) when visiting any of the libraries in the Zimbabwe Open University Library and Information Service system (ZOU LIS).You will not be allowed access to the library without the identity documents. ZOU has instituted this ruling for security reasons.
The categories of users entitled to access facilities and information resources with the ZOU LIS include:-
- Members of the ZOU Council and Senate, Deans of Faculties, Departmental Chairpersons , Regional Directors, Editors, Evaluators, Programme Tutors (part time and full time) Module Writers and Developers and Researchers;
- ZOU students and other people affiliated to ZOU;
- Students, staff and researchers from other Universities and Colleges as approved subscribed readers. NB Approved Readers pay an access fee. The access fees are categorised per day/month. Consult the Librarian for these fees.
LIBRARY OPERATING HOURS
The following are the expected opening times for the Libraries in the ZOU Library and Information Service system.
- Monday – Friday 0900 hrs – 2000 hrs.
- Saturday & Sunday 0900 hrs – 1600 hrs.
N.B. Local variations on opening times may prevail at each Regional Centre to suit local conditions so it advisable to consult the librarian at each particular region to confirm the opening times.